Clear all

WTB Stinson 108

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Trevor Edie
(@trevorjediegmail-com)
Topic starter

Hello everyone. I'm looking to buy a Stinson 108 as my first airplane. I'm a ATP/CFI with 2000 total time and 500 tailwheel, 10 of which are in a 108-3 with the O-470 conversion. Great airplane. 

I'm looking for a cheaper one though, as my budget is $25,000 or less. Something like a 108-2 or -3 with a mid-time or better Franklin 165hp is preferable. I don't mind metal or fabric, it'll be in a hangar either way. Not picky on location either--I'm in Denver, CO but willing to travel anyplace in the States to get the airplane of my dreams.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Posted : 10/12/2019 5:19 am
Topic Tags
Will Ware (Webmaster ISC)
(@stinsono)
Reputable Member Admin

Hey Trevor, Be sure To click into the Sites main menu for some Stinson buyers info.

With that said, there are plenty for the low to mid-twenties, just make sure that someone knowledgeable of Stinson's and more importantly who knows Franklins.

Posted : 10/12/2019 5:29 am
domurray
Eminent Member

There looks to be a nice 108-2 and a 108-3 for sale on barnstormers.com right now in your price range.Don

Posted : 10/12/2019 3:36 pm
Trevor Edie
(@trevorjediegmail-com)
Topic starter

@stinsono

Thanks Will! This site has been incredibly useful in that way so far. The A&P/prebuy database in particular.

Posted : 10/12/2019 8:32 pm
Trevor Edie
(@trevorjediegmail-com)
Topic starter

@domurray

I've got my eye on the one in Ohio there, but NTSB says it's got a nose-over in its history a couple years back, so I've gotta be sure it's been repaired properly since. Having a new owner since and recent ADSB install makes me think so but can't be too careful...

Posted : 10/12/2019 8:35 pm
Will Ware (Webmaster ISC)
(@stinsono)
Reputable Member Admin

Posted by: @trevorjediegmail-com

@domurray

I've got my eye on the one in Ohio there, but NTSB says it's got a nose-over in its history a couple years back, so I've gotta be sure it's been repaired properly since. Having a new owner since and recent ADSB install makes me think so but can't be too careful...

Get a copy of the Logs from the owner and the 337s from the FAA (use Acme Title company in OK for about $35)

That way you can see how well it was repaired. 

Posted : 10/12/2019 8:56 pm
domurray
Eminent Member

Yeah, it looks like a nice plane. Most have been in mishaps over the years but the devil is in the details on how they were repaired. I always think of a new purchase of an airplane as though I am purchasing three separate parts. The engine, airframe, and paperwork. The condition of each determines value. 

Posted : 10/12/2019 9:30 pm

I looked at the plane as well. The big show-stopper for me was the engine. I’m sure it was running when it flipped over, and there was never a TDI after the incident. I’m sure there’s several different opinions as to whether that would be necessary, but I decided it wasn’t worth pursuing further.

Posted : 11/12/2019 4:55 pm

Shoot me a message, I may be willing to part with my 108-3.

Posted : 16/01/2020 3:48 pm
Share: