Share:
Notifications
Clear all

108-1 Gear Strut Rebuild (No Rings / Extra O-Ring)

7 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
Topic starter  

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the club, Stinson ownership and the forum.

I am in the process of rebuilding the gear struts, I have them disassembles and a bit confused.

We do not have rings but we have an extra O-Ring where it doesn't appear to be doing anything. 

I assume we probably have an older model 108 (S/N:2070) or at least older model gear struts but I'm having no luck finding info on this version.

Does anyone have any information they care to share? 

Thanks!

(@carl)
Estimable Member

Hi Scott, welcome to the Stinson world. Not everyone has the rings. Each strut assembly will have 2 different size O rings. I installed "quad" rings when I overhauled mine. Can't remember the stock # but someone will. Here's a link you might find helpful. Cheers

http://www.hangar9aeroworks.com/Stinson%20Tech%20Info/Stinson%20Shock%20Strut%20Overhaul/Stinson%20Shock%20Strut%20Overhaul.html

Bret reacted
ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Carsten-

Thanks for the ring information and I appreciate the link.

I understand that there is an ID and OD O-ring which I am changing over to the quad rings but in my assembly there is an extra large O-ring just sitting in the OD radius of the piston above where the ring groove would be (If I had rings)..I'd post a picture if I could or knew how.

Thanks again

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

I did figure out I can post pictures to my profile page and have posted a couple pictures of the a gear strut disassembled with the extra O-ring. If anyone knows the reason for it or has a parts manual calling it out please let me know.

Thanks!  

ReplyQuote
(@carl)
Estimable Member

It appears someone installed that rubber ring to act as a bumper or cushion for when the piston reaches its upper limit when the weight is off the gear. Not necessary but it won't hurt anything. 😊

ReplyQuote
Reputable Member

Get rid of it. That O ring isn't doing anything but gumming up the works. And if it comes apart from doing a job its not designed for, the trash is just floating around in your strut.

This post was modified 2 months ago by resto108

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

@resto108 

Thanks!

I remove the extra O-ring and reassembled the struts with quad rings.

ReplyQuote
Share: