Share:
Notifications
Clear all

108 165 Performance at Altitude

Ron
 Ron
(@cardwell-rongmail-com)
Topic starter  

Does anybody have experience operating a -108 with the Franklin 165 at high density altitude?  Specifically in Colorado?  I'm sure the bigger engines do much better but I'm curious how a 165 would do around here.

Casey McCain
(@hookdowngmail-com)

Yes, I’m in Colorado Springs. There are a few of us in the area. It does pretty well, the key is to keep it light. In the summer density altitudes here routinely exceed 10,000ft. At that DA If I’m by myself with half gas and at least 10kts of wind I plan on 1,000ft t/o distance.  If you need to load up to near gross than you need to go early before it gets too hot. Even then the DA is usually over 8K. Breaks ground pretty well but the climb out is slow. With myself and camping gear I have no problem getting into any of the Colorado backcountry strips. I’ve had it up to near 14,000ft to cross the mountains. 

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@cardwell-rongmail-com)
Topic starter  

Great info.  That's exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Butch

Ron,

I live in Big Bear Lake California, airport is at 6750, density alt often above 9K. 108-3, full fuel, me and the wife, very comfortable TO and climb out. I’ve got a cruse prop, 54 pitch. I also fly above 10K a lot. It’s no time to climb machine, but for me , it’s a great aircraft.

Butch

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@cardwell-rongmail-com)
Topic starter  

Great info.  Thanks Butch!

ReplyQuote
lawheelock
Prominent Member

I doubt that there is a significant high DA increase in performance of a 165 over a 150.  After all they both have the same displacement, same compression ratio and use the same propeller.  The 165 might turn up a little higher rpm, but never flew a 165 in those areas.

I have flown my 108 back when it had the F150 all over the mountain west.  I once took off from pueblo and ventured  west and made it over the 11000 ft ridge and then motored down the west side towards ALB with the northwest breeze allowing me to reduce power and fly faster riding the wave southerly along that ridge. 

On another trip, I departed ALB, IFR for Phoenix and somewhere between on the airway, was given a 12,000 ft altitude which I accepted (in VFR conditions) after telling the controller that it would be a slow climb. Finally made it up there.  I once flew the Stinson to a little over 14,000 just to prove it would go as high as Pike's Peak (but that was over Missouri) 

Lots of other stories I could tell but the key was always patience.  Climb rates can be slow, but there is usually lots of space.  I was usually pretty much close to gross with full fuel, but always made stops where there was lots of runway and no obstructions nearby.

I once took off from Cheyenne fully loaded, on west heading runway and held my heading for over 20 miles before gradually turning back towards the east destined for OshKosh.  Fully loaded with camping gear for a 10 days at Oshkosh.  Always, patience was the key.

The Stinsons are very capable, with patience.

Larry Wheelock, A&P/IAStinson 108 N584LW 180 LycTexas in Winter; Indiana in Summer

ReplyQuote
Share: