108-3 data in Foreflight

4 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Karl A. Vogelheim
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Greetings all,

I am putting my Stinson data back into ForeFlight after losing it. Anyone have the glide ratio data for a Stinson 108-3? It won’t take the descriptor “brick”.😁

lawheelock
Prominent Member

Hi Karl,

l long time, not hear.  I don't have the number, but I would suggest using about 9:1.  Brick is not appropriate because that is the glide ratio of the Piper Tri-Pacer and the Stinson is much better, but not like a Taylorcraft (22:1) or a Piper Super Cruiser (Manual said 11:1)  I am sure I am not accurate, but probably a safe number for any Stinson 108 series.  Ive flown all versions of the 108 and they all fly the same for the most part.   My Mooney M20C is probably between the Super Cruiser and the Taylorcraft as it is a much better glider than the Stinson.  But, interestingly, the stall speeds clean and dirty are the same as my Stinson.

Larry

ReplyQuote
(@daveschlener3gmail-com)

(From my notes……not a Dash 3 manual)

Best glide speed Vg, for most GA airplanes, is about halfway between VX and VY. Most manufacturers establish the best glide speed at max gross weight. This means your best glide speed will always be lower than this book value after takeoff.
  V
Y, VX and VG should all decrease about a half-knot for each 100 pounds under MGW.

Quick rules of thumb, not as accurate as glider V speeds due to prop and spiraling slipstream effects. 

ReplyQuote
Karl A. Vogelheim
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Larry, thank you for the information. 9:1 May not be perfectly accurate, but it is better than not having anything at all.

David, I have a best glide speed of 83mph which most people just round to 80 mph. It is close enough for what I need but thank you all the same.

ReplyQuote
Share: