Share:
Notifications
Clear all

108-3 Rudder Pedal & Brake Assembly  

RSS

John Cormack
09/03/2020 1:40 am  

Hello I am new to the Sinson 108 world and am in the process of finalizing the sale of a straight 108.  I am looking for a 108-3 rudder pedal and brake assembly as I need brake pedals on the co-pilots side so my kids can start there flight training.  If anyone knows of one or could direct me to some would really be appreciated.  I have already talked to Earl but he does not have any right now.

Thanks for any help.

John

Will Ware (Webmaster)
Member Admin
09/03/2020 2:15 am  

John, welcome. I'm assuming you are wanting "Dual Brakes" is that correct? If so it is possible, but expensive. Univair sells this KIT for about $3200 https://www.univair.com/stinson/view-all/108-3942001-stinson-dual-brake-kit/

ReplyQuote
Will Ware (Webmaster)
Member Admin
09/03/2020 2:23 am  

There have been many discussions on the dual brake topic, you can find them with the search function or by clicking this link 

https://stinsonowners.org/forum/?wpfs=Dual+brake

ReplyQuote
John Cormack
09/03/2020 2:30 am  

Thank you for the responses.  I am aware of the Univair option and yes it is very pricey, you are correct at $3200.  I have read many post that talk about installation instruction on this forum.  I guess I am just hoping that there might be someone that has a set from an old airframe that they might not mind parting with.

Thanks again

ReplyQuote
Will Ware (Webmaster)
Member Admin
09/03/2020 2:32 am  

I do have a brake set, but they are NOT dual. Are you on the FB page? If not I can ask there for you.

ReplyQuote
John Cormack
09/03/2020 4:48 am  

I am on the Facebook group and will put a post on there. 

Thanks

ReplyQuote
John Cormack
22/03/2020 6:06 pm  

I have got hold of a used brake pedal assembly from a 108-3.  What are all the parts I need to install it into a straight 108?  Is there any welding involved?  I know with the Univair kit they say no welding.

ReplyQuote
Will Ware (Webmaster)
Member Admin
22/03/2020 11:41 pm  
Posted by: @flyjohnnyairgmail-com

I have got hold of a used brake pedal assembly from a 108-3.  What are all the parts I need to install it into a straight 108?  Is there any welding involved?  I know with the Univair kit they say no welding.

Should be no welding at all, the right side pedals should actuate the left side pedals and brake actuators. 

ReplyQuote
John Cormack
23/03/2020 3:59 pm  

@stinsono

Morning Will, hey I really appreciate you responding to my posts so quickly.  Trying not to drive everyone crazy with my newbie question.  In regards to the installation I am getting conflicting reports.  Some say with there is no welding required but that is only if you have the Univair kit.  I have got an assembly out of a -3 and some people say with that assembly I will have to weld a couple of small tabs on.  This is what Earl Allen told me but I am not sure which tabs he is referring to and if I need them cut off the -3 frame.  He was pretty busy and didn't have time to tell me anymore.  Do you have experience putting a -3 pedal assembly into a straight 108?  If so could you spread some more light on the install for me and do you know if anyone has ever posted the Univair install instructions. 

Thanks again for all your help.

John

ReplyQuote
Will Ware (Webmaster)
Member Admin
23/03/2020 4:05 pm  

@stinsono

Morning Will, hey I really appreciate you responding to my posts so quickly.  Trying not to drive everyone crazy with my newbie question.  In regards to the installation I am getting conflicting reports.  Some say with there is no welding required but that is only if you have the Univair kit.  I have got an assembly out of a -3 and some people say with that assembly I will have to weld a couple of small tabs on.  This is what Earl Allen told me but I am not sure which tabs he is referring to and if I need them cut off the -3 frame.  He was pretty busy and didn't have time to tell me anymore.  Do you have experience putting a -3 pedal assembly into a straight 108?  If so could you spread some more light on the install for me and do you know if anyone has ever posted the Univair install instructions. 

Thanks again for all your help.

John

I have to admit, I'm really not sure. My 108-1 does have dual brakes, and I would assume there is not any welding but I have never seen the conversion other than some with the Univar kit. 

Can you post some picture of the underside of your fuselage where you are going to install so I can see what you have to work with? Maybe I can see if it is the same as mine?

I would assume that Stinson wanted a bolt in replacement, but I'm not sure. Maybe Larry can chime in on this?

ReplyQuote
John Cormack
23/03/2020 4:27 pm  

@stinsono

I cannot send pictures of the underside because the fabric is on.  We are going to have to tackle this from the topside down.  Unfortunately I also don't have access to the plane right now.

ReplyQuote
Will Ware (Webmaster)
Member Admin
23/03/2020 4:29 pm  

@stinsono

I cannot send pictures of the underside because the fabric is on.  We are going to have to tackle this from the topside down.  Unfortunately I also don't have access to the plane right now.

I think you would have to open the bottom of the Boot cowling to gain access to that area, there should be a panel you can unscrew to get in there. 

ReplyQuote
John Cormack
23/03/2020 4:37 pm  

@stinsono

Ah like I said major newbie here.  When I eventually get access to the plane I can have a look.  I have purchased the plane but don't have it in my possession yet as it is the next province over and weather hasn't been good enough to fly through the Rockies.  I am just trying to get as much info as I can for when my mechanic takes this job on.  Previous owner of the pedal assembly is happy to cut off any extra tabs I might need so trying to get an idea of all the parts required.  I was hoping it would just bolt into the existing frame of my 108.

ReplyQuote
moffetb
Honorable Member
23/03/2020 11:54 pm  

You can purchase the installation drawings from Univair, I did when I did the conversion to dual brakes in my 108-1.  If you remove the bottom pan and the floorboards, you have as much access that you need, though it's going to be a little tight.

Brian

1946 Stinson 108-1, Franklin 165, at one time NX8306K

ReplyQuote
Share: