Notifications
Clear all

Hunting for my 108  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Jerrid Stottlemyre
Eminent Member
24/06/2020 5:31 pm  

I've noticed ADS-B equipped Stinsons are not very common. Unfortunately, my home airport is within a Mode C ring. How much should I budget? Any recommendations on simple cost-effective solutions? I don't need anything fancy since I can easily get ADS-B in functionality via iPad.

ReplyQuote
Robert Picard
Trusted Member
24/06/2020 6:28 pm  

Two things to consider when dealing with a prop strike. Wood or metal prop and RPM. Internal damage can be little or none or considerable depending on the circumstance.

Bob PicardN6346M Stinson 108-3 Floats/Skis/Wheels
N48923 Taylorcraft L-2B skis/WheelsAnchor Point, Alaska

ReplyQuote
Robert Picard
Trusted Member
24/06/2020 6:34 pm  
Posted by: @tr57gwyyahoo-com

I've noticed ADS-B equipped Stinsons are not very common. Unfortunately, my home airport is within a Mode C ring. How much should I budget? Any recommendations on simple cost-effective solutions? I don't need anything fancy since I can easily get ADS-B in functionality via iPad.

Uavionix wing or tail strobe would probably be the cheapest way. Works great for me, and definitely the cheapest.

ReplyQuote
john berry
24/06/2020 8:12 pm  

The wing tip  bacon is the cheapest way to go. It is however dependent upon your old transponder which can die and that will cost you another who knows what if you have to replace it.  The beacon cost or somewhere around 1,500 to $2,000 from what I have seen . You can save some money by installing it yourself and having an A&P sign it off.

ReplyQuote
Robert Picard
Trusted Member
26/06/2020 1:48 am  

The good news is that if your old transponder goes tango uniform, you an replace it with used ones just like it pretty cheap. For example a King KT78A like I have can be had on Ebay for as little as $75.00 working when removed for upgrade. You can get them with encoder and yellow tags for more, but a lot less than new. At this price, I am going to get a couple of spares. If you want to comply at a minimum cost, that might be the way to go.

Bob Picard

ReplyQuote
Jerrid Stottlemyre
Eminent Member
30/06/2020 4:25 am  

Any good guides out there for determining value of a 108? Preferably without paying a boat load to join or subscribe to an online service. Prices on these things seem to land all over the dart board. I feel like I've seen two nearly identical Stinsons listed with a $8000 price gap (one of those sold very quickly).

ReplyQuote
Will Ware (Webmaster)
Member Admin
30/06/2020 4:40 am  

The guides and value services are solely based on "Reported" sales.

Value is in the buyers hands, not the Sellers.

there are too many variables to define why the $8000 differences you saw, some could be substantiated, some could be the sellers gut feeling.

remember the seller thinks this is the best plane in the world, but I know from last week doing a prebuy, there can be MANY hidden issues and/or documentation problems.

ReplyQuote
Jerrid Stottlemyre
Eminent Member
30/06/2020 4:59 am  

@stinsono Just like anything. It's worth whatever you're willing to pay for it (less all the things that you mentioned). It's tough to determine that though. Even the most expensive Stinson seems like it might be a fair price, next to the non-Stinson competitiors (Like a low end C-170 priced at 55K). At the end of the day, I'd hate to make an insulting low ball offer, but not at the expense of ripping myself off.

I'm also in a tighter spot in that I am restricted by a DOD travel ban, and unable to lay eyes on the aircraft myself. A good prebuy is a good mitigation for this, but you never know till you know.v

This post was modified 2 months ago by Jerrid Stottlemyre

ReplyQuote
Jerrid Stottlemyre
Eminent Member
05/07/2020 11:22 pm  

I finally bit the bullet, and I'm becoming a Stinson owner. Any recommendations on organizations I should join? I'm already a member of the ISC, AOPA, EAA, and the CAF (not really Stinson related). Any Antique Aircraft Association members out there? I only recently even heard of it. Thanks for everyone's comments and advice!

ReplyQuote
Jerrid Stottlemyre
Eminent Member
06/07/2020 9:21 pm  

So the plane I'm purchasing is in Florida. I live in California. The seller is going to deliver the aircraft here so closing will occur in California. Does the transaction count as having taken place in California? Or is Florida going to come after me for sales tax? I asked our escrow agent, and she didn't sound very confident, but thought it sounded normal to take place under the laws of California.

ReplyQuote
Jerrid Stottlemyre
Eminent Member
28/07/2020 4:45 am  

I'm in!! She arrived today. Thanks for all the advice everyone (Will Ware is on top of it!). I'm excited for things to come and glad I have such a great resource here. I already have a few projects planned including new landing gear springs. Might start a youtube channel...

ReplyQuote
Will Ware (Webmaster)
Member Admin
28/07/2020 12:28 pm  

Awesome! Share pics!

i would also encourage the YouTube channel and blog. Each time you capture your work digitally, you will not only be helping others, it's also a great reference for you. Also shows how far you have come bc you will need the motivation occasionally.

welcome to the jungle!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: