Notifications
Clear all

Getting 108-3 N6635M back into the air

Page 16 / 16

Robert Picard
(@bob-picard)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @clemensfam3sbcglobal-net

By the way, density altitude here today is 7800 feet!

Just by comparison the ASOS at the Homer,Alaska airport was reporting -3000 Ft density altitude last winter. Needless to say, the performance of my O-540 powered Stinson was quite impressive.

Bob

Bob PicardN6346M Stinson 108-3 Floats/Skis/Wheels
N48923 Taylorcraft L-2B skis/WheelsAnchor Point, Alaska

BRUCE liked
ReplyQuote
BRUCE
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Oil cooler installed,

It's taken almost 2 months and several phone calls but Pacific Oil Cooler finally got around to looking at Sammy's old cooler and told me it was beyond repair. So they sent me this shiny new one. It was a perfect fit and installed easily.

20210519 114843[1]
20210707 134905[1]

The old oil temp sender was no good and I could not find a replacement for the gauge that was in Sammy so I had to buy a new gauge and sender from Pilot Shop. The gauge arrived last week but the sender was coming from a different warehouse and it has not arrived. I called Pilot Shop and they are working on the issue. Waiting to hear from them.

James liked
ReplyQuote
BRUCE
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

After most of the day with no response from The Pilot Shop person I called him back. He said he had heard nothing yet from the warehouse so he would call them while I waited.

After a while he came back on the line and told me that the warehouse said they shipped it out on May 25th (two and a half weeks ago) and that it may still take a week or so for the United States Postal Service to bring it up in their system! But it is "out of our (Pilot Shop's) hands".

Wow. And this is what the USPS calls "First Class mail".

So my instructions are to wait until sometime in the middle of next week before I inquire again.

ReplyQuote
lawheelock
Prominent Member

Bruce,

The original oil pressure gauge system is a capillary tube device and they are readily available from several sources.  The electrical sender and gauge is not original. 

I used a capillary gauge setup even in my conversion from the Franklin to my Lycoming 180 hp engine in 2012.  Of course I had to get a new one for the higher oil pressure of the Lycoming but as I recall it came with the kit for the conversion.

Larry Wheelock

Larry Wheelock, A&P/IAStinson 108 N584LW 180 LycTexas in Winter; Indiana in Summer

ReplyQuote
BRUCE
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you, Larry...My oil pressure is fine. It's the oil temp sender that doesn't work.

This post was modified 12 months ago by BRUCE

ReplyQuote
lawheelock
Prominent Member

Sorry Bruce,

My reply was confusing. 

First sentence should have read: "The original oil temperature  gauge system is a capillary tube device and they are readily available from several sources. The electrical sender and gauge is not original."

The second sentence only applied to my oil pressure measurement and had no place in the reply.

Sorry.

Larry

Larry Wheelock, A&P/IAStinson 108 N584LW 180 LycTexas in Winter; Indiana in Summer

ReplyQuote
Will Ware (Webmaster ISC)
(@stinsono)
Member Admin

Great point, @Bruce, you still out there working on your bird?

ReplyQuote
Page 16 / 16
Share: