Notifications
Clear all

N97954 108-1 Will Ware Dallas Tx Restoration

Page 1 / 3

Will Ware (Webmaster ISC)
(@stinsono)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I inherited this 1947 108-1 from my uncle who passed away. It was in upstate Maine. I loaded it up and trucked it back to Dallas.

txgr
 txgr
Eminent Member

That has to be one of the snazzier personal sites I've ever seen. The site is very slick and professional. That makes sense as I see you've created other major websites.

I take it, you now have four wings, two replacements you'll be repairing, and then the original wings you inherited from which you might salvage some parts?

My 108-3 wings are metalized. If I had the time, money, and skill, I'd try to replace them. They are functional, but there are some cosmetic issues and the metal takes 50-75lbs of useful load over ceconite or another modern covering. Unfortunately, my priorities have to be replacing the engine. The are in good serviceable condition as is and going from metal to ceconite is prohibitive in both costs (buying replacement leading edge components) and time.

You video was good for me. It scares me off from trying to buy a salvage wing. The last thing I need is more scope creep on my project.

I'll registered and I'll try to check in on your site every now and then to see what other interesting videos you post on your project. I certainly learned from you experience uncovering those wings.

Cheers,
Brian

V/r
- Brian Carter
N637C (Hangared at 8T8 in Texas)

ReplyQuote
(@stinsono)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Ha, yeah I’m justifying the fact that I will have $60K in an airplane that is worth $30k that I know everything is good and safe, at least that’s what I’m telling myself!

Thanks for joining the site for the journey!

ReplyQuote
txgr
 txgr
Eminent Member

I followed the same "justification" for myself. First, I told myself sticking $15K-$20K in made since for "IFR experience and learning." Then, when the engine was broken, I figured, well, at least I'll have a solid floatplane. We shall see.

A friend in Manitoba, Bruce Furst, took his O-435 powered Stinson down in 1992 as I recall. He finally had the restoration done in 2014. Life kept interferring, but now he has one of the most beautiful, well maintained, and enjoyable Stinson's I've seen. He also has it on floats. As he recently retired, he's able to fly out to the thousands of lakes to fish, far from any crowds. Whenever I get discouraged, I just look at his beautiful restoration:

Cheers,

V/r
- Brian Carter
N637C (Hangared at 8T8 in Texas)

ReplyQuote
(@stinsono)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I did some work on the left wing today, removing the wingtip to get to some old groundloop damage.

https://n97954-stinson-108.mn.co/posts/left-wing-repairs-started?utm_source=manual

ReplyQuote
(@stinsono)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

This weekend I changed the website that I’m documenting the restoration to a new software called WordPress which is easier to navigate and gives me more options to customize.

The new site addresss is http://www.n97954.org

Please drop by and take a look, there is even a community you can register for to see updates and Private message.

ReplyQuote
(@stinsono)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

This weekend I changed the website that I’m documenting the restoration to a new software called WordPress which is easier to navigate and gives me more options to customize.

The new site addresss is http://www.n97954.org

Please drop by and take a look, there is even a community you can register for to see updates and Private message.

ReplyQuote
j3cubcapt
Eminent Member Registered

M.O.U.S.E,
Seems like someone mad a home in my elevator. Look what came out while cleaning it.

Will Ware
Webmaster ISC websites
Project 1946 Stinson 108-1 N97954
Blog www.N97954.org
Rockwall Texas

ReplyQuote
j3cubcapt

I went on a “Crazy Parts Run” this weekend. Check this out....

https://youtu.be/NmNoJemxA7w

Will Ware
Webmaster ISC websites
Blog www.N97954.org
Rockwall Texas

ReplyQuote
Jason Tepool
Estimable Member

I went on a “Crazy Parts Run” this weekend. Check this out....

https://youtu.be/NmNoJemxA7w

That is pretty crazy. Doing those quick turns for work is one thing, doing it get some Stinson parts is another. I live in Colorado, and I made a trip to visit family back in southern IN one year. I drove a couple hours south to meet another Stinson buddy and ended up with a U-haul trailer full of parts that I hauled back to Colorado for my current project.

Jason "Tadpole" Tepool
N247C 108-2 w/220hp

ReplyQuote
Alistair
Estimable Member

I bought a radio from Rainer a year or so ago, but luckily he was in Dallas on a trip so FedEx'd to me... Much more relaxing...

Al

Al Corden
N97555 - Sid
1946 108

ReplyQuote
j3cubcapt

I was tearing down an aileron today and noticed that on this aileron, (I think covered with Razorback) that the PK screw had a thin washer under it.

When I took the cover off the wings, there was NOT any washers.

So what is the recommendation? Washer or No washer for PKs that hold fabric to ribs?

Will Ware
Webmaster ISC websites
Blog www.N97954.org
Rockwall Texas

ReplyQuote
Jason Tepool
Estimable Member

Out of the 4 wings from 108's I've uncovered, I've seen a mix. The last set I repaired, I put the little PK washers on where the fabric attaches to the ribs.

Jason "Tadpole" Tepool
N247C 108-2 w/220hp

ReplyQuote
j3cubcapt

I like the idea of that additional washer helping too. They are very think Stainless screws and washers. I will consider it when I go back with cover.

Will Ware
Webmaster ISC websites
Blog www.N97954.org
Rockwall Texas

ReplyQuote
Jason Tepool
Estimable Member

Ya that's why I went with them, and my IA that has a very reputable vintage restoration business uses them when they work. On our wings, they help keep everything secure, they weigh little, and you can't tell they are there when the finishing tapes are on. I always try to redimple each hole on the ribs too so that they are smooth on top. I convinced myself the washer also helps with that to keep that rib from cutting up through the fabric.

Jason "Tadpole" Tepool
N247C 108-2 w/220hp

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: