In an April 5, 1920 edition of Aerial Age Weekly a rather detailed article was written about Stinson’s “new” Greyhound biplane. “It had a rather streamlined fuselage which gave it less wind resistance than other biplanes of the times and was finished in a gray color with a mahogany cowling and a bumped “engine hood” to accommodate the rocker arms. It had a two-place, side by side cockpit seating arrangement and a rear compartment for the storage of tools and baggage. The seats were upholstered in a deep green velour which gave it “a striking contrast to the mahogany finish of the cockpit”.
It had a U. S. A. -4 wing section and is of the five panel type. The ribs were all 3 ply veneer with the compression ribs being of the “box-type”. The aileron control used a stick which was connected to a bell crank assembly. The bell crank was fastened to a tube which ran thru the lower wing forming the leading edge of the lower aileron. The lower aileron was then connected to the upper aileron by means of a steel tube. This provided for positive control in case the aileron of either wing was disabled.
The landing gear was of the “V” type made of steel tubing which was nickel-plated and polished. Shock absorbers were of the usual rubber cord design. All of the airplanes flying/landing wires and fittings were also nickel plated and highly polished adding to the overall appeal of the airplane.
The engine was a 90 h.p. Curtis OX-5, and even this early, he installed an electric starter. Equipped with a Hartzell walnut propeller the airplane had a max speed of 96 mph, with economical cruise around 55 mph.”
Wing Span: 34 ft 2 ¼ in Chord: 5 ft Wing Area: 320 sq ft
Length: 22 ft 4 in Height: 9 ft
Empty Weight: 947 lbs
Gross Weight: 1492 lbs
From Actual performance tests:
Highest speed: 96 mph
Lowest landing Speed: 25 mph
Endurance (full throttle): 3 ¼ hours
Economy power: 5 ½ hours